Welcome to Read and Resist! A reading group set up in January 2020. This reading group is open to all interested in developing their knowledge, reading, and discussion of selected texts broadly relating to Transformative Justice.
Our sessions will be held monthly through each semester until the vacation period (September-January and February- July). All sessions will be held digitally.
We welcome all people from all experiences and backgrounds to join in with our discussions – all that is required is an interest in learning more about transformative justice!
Please select as many readings as you feel appropriate! Get in touch with us ReadandResist20atgmaildotcom if you have difficulty accessing any of the readings.
READING SESSIONS AND LIST (OCTOBER 2021- January 2022)
14th October 6-8pm (online booking opens 18.9.21)
Session: Resistance, Power and Protest: In support of Black History Month
- Gargi Bhattacharyya et al. Empire’s Endgame: Racism and the British State, Pluto Press, 2021 ch14 (get in touch with us if you have difficulty accessing a copy)
- Erica Meiners and Therese Quinn, What Struggle Teaches: The Pedagogy of Resistance and Community 2016
- Gargi Bhattacharyya, We, the heartbroken, Pluto Press Blog
Sita Balani, Catching History: Vigils, Riots and the Right to Protest, Verso Books Blog
- Adam Elliot-Cooper in conversation with Gus John, Gracie-May Bradley, and Tracey Jackson, Black Resistance to British Policing – Book Launch
18th November 6-8pm
Session: Comradeship, Allyship and The Perils of Mainstream Feminism
- Alison Phipps, Me, Not You: The Trouble with Mainstream Feminism (2020) Manchester University Press (get in touch with us if you have difficulty accessing a copy)
- Molly Ackhurst, Me Not You: The Trouble with Mainstream Feminism (2020)
Françoise Vergès, White Women, Feminism and Its Repression of Slavery, Pluto Press Blog
- Françoise Vergès, Decolonial Feminism, Pluto Press (get in touch with us for a discount code)
- A Decolonial Feminism: Timofei Gerber in conversation with Françoise Vergès, Epoché Magazine
- Françoise Vergès, Lola Olufemi, Book Launch
9th December 6-8pm
Session: “We Will Not Cancel Us”: Cancel Culture, Disposability, and Transformative Justice
- Adrienne Maree Brown, We Will Not Cancel Us: Dreams of Transformative Justice (get in touch with us if you have difficulty accessing a copy)
- Adrienne Maree Brown on Abolition, Cancellation, and Healing
- 50 Years of Imagining Radical Feminist Futures: A Conversation with Angela Davis and Adrienne Maree Brown
13th January 6-8pm
Session: #Kill the Bill: “The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action”
- Audre Lorde (1984) The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action
- Audre Lorde Your Silence Will Not Protect You [audio]
- Flick Adams and Fabienne Emmerich (2021)“Our Silence Will Not Protect Us”: They know that and that’s why we need to #KilltheBill
We are keen for grassroots groups and organisations to host a reading group session centring on their central focuses. If you’re interested, or you fancy recommending some readings to us? Drop us a line: Readandresist20atgmaildotcom